History & Hospitality
LaPrairieaire is a six generation, Hagen family farm located in the SE Corner of Camrose County in Central Alberta. Our family history on this land dates to 1911 with the arrival of Ted and Carolina and three children from the US, but was predated by the 1893 arrival of Ovide Blouin, a French Canadian settler who established his ranching operation on a year round spring that is now the historic centre of LaPrairieaire.
The deep valleys that cut into the flat prairie landscape of LaPrairieaire have exposed dinosaur fossils and archaeological sites in 3 three separate locations, as well to provide habitat supporting abundant wildlife.
Set amongst the Battle River badlands, Situated on the Swanson’s Road property, LaPrairieaire offers overnight accommodation in our renovated threshing crew bunkhouse complete with toilet, LED lighting and a 12 volt cooler. Outside, enjoy cooking over a campfire or on a 3 burner propane stove on a deck under a retractable awning, then refresh under the newly added solar heated shower.
Tours of our Ferry Point and Red Willow Creek properties start with lunch at our trailhead picnic sites with fully equipped outdoor kitchens, fire pit, picnic table and portable toilet.
At LaPrairieaire, 2021 is shaping up to be an exciting year with numerous new historic discoveries to share.